We just deployed some bug fixes and minor changes to the DMPTool based on your feedback. Comprehensive release notes are available in GitHub. Keep reading for a summary of things that affect the user interface:
Guidance and Customizing Templates
- You can create guidance with multiple themes again (instructions in the admin help guide). We’re still working to make sure that guidance tagged with multiple themes only appears once (in some cases it’s duplicated in the accordions displayed to end users); this will be fixed soon.
- When a user selects guidance on the project details tab, the main organizational guidance group is checked by default and any optional subgroups are unchecked (screenshot below with UCSF test data).
- We fixed a bug related to customizing funder templates so please go forth and customize (instructions in the admin help guide)! Contact the helpdesk if you created any customizations in the past few weeks and notice that the themes were removed from the customized questions.
Request feedback workflow
- We revised the tooltip language to clarify changes on the Admin > Organization details > Request Feedback tab.
- If you enable this functionality, the system now displays your ‘Request Feedback Message’ to users from your organization on-screen instead of sending them an email (screenshots below; #2 is from the Share tab where users can click the button to ‘Request feedback’).
- When you finish providing feedback on a plan and click the ‘Complete’ link on the Admin > Plans page, we updated the ‘Request Feedback complete’ email with clearer instructions on how the plan owner can find your comments and a direct link to the appropriate page.
Other DMPTool news
- The recording from the webinar on themes, guidance, and templates is available on the CDL Vimeo page. You can also find links to webinars from the GitHub wiki and blog.
- For those who placed orders for marketing materials after 18 Jun, we’ll ship the second batch next month after restocking. Thanks for all the suggestions about other ways we can help you promote the DMPTool—please keep them coming!
We’re back to a two-week sprint rhythm and have some exciting new things in the latest release:
- Translations: Our collaborators at the Portage Network in Canada helped internationalize the new version of the platform and various others contributed translations of DMPonline prior to the launch. We’ve added many new features to the DMP Roadmap codebase since then. It also took some wrangling to establish a process for handling and updating translation files. We’re happy to report that the DMPTool now offers a Brazilian Portuguese translation, with additional languages in the works (Spanish, Catalán, French, German, Japanese…). Users can adjust language selections for a given session in the dropdown menu at the upper right. You can also save a default language selection for your account under Edit profile. Please note that all DMPTool templates for US funders are available in English only at the moment.
- Request feedback emails: We made some adjustments to these based on feedback from admins. Now a participating organization must provide a primary contact email on the Organization details page in order to enable the Request feedback functionality. When a user submits a plan for feedback, the system will deliver an email notification to this primary contact email (not to everyone with admin privileges at that org as it did previously). We plan to continue refining this functionality during future sprints so please let us know what does and doesn’t work for you.
- Guidance: Admins will notice a slight change here; you are now required to apply exactly one theme to each piece of guidance (using the radio buttons). For organizations that have guidance tagged with multiple themes, the guidance will still work and show for the existing themes. However, when you edit or update the guidance you will only see one of the themes selected and will only be able to select one from this point forward.
- Bug fixes and usability improvements: We’re ironing out some kinks with table sorting and searching during this latest sprint and continuing into the next one. Read the full release notes for a complete list of bug fixes and many thanks to our international user community for reporting most of these issues!
In other news
Please join me for a deep dive webinar into Themes, Templates, and Guidance on 18 July, 9-10 am PDT. Register here. The recording will be available afterward.
DMPTool promo materials are in the mail! If you want some new, blue postcards and stickers and didn’t already place your order, follow this link. And thanks to all those who provided suggestions in the order form about how we can help you help researchers create DMPs. We’ll do our best to follow up on them!